Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, November 16

Crazy Quilting Day

For the past nine years or so, a group of us have been getting together to sew. The get-togethers are becoming more infrequent. At one time, we were all involved in crazy quilting at one level or another. Now, we just sew whatever we are working on.
Today, we got together - most of us. Some were working on CQ for Christmas Stockings. Another was working on a christmas decoration of stuffed stars.
I made a slip and drawers for my poor little naked and half-headed porcelain reproduction doll. I need to find a wig for her. The pattern I used was from Venus A. Dodge's THE DOLLS DRESSMAKER, which is a wonderful book. Patterns range from 11 and 14-15 inch dolls to 25-26 inch dolls. Each section details different ways to use the patterns.
Soon, I will post a photo of these garments. I sewed them by hand while we talked.
I had a great time with you Dot, Karen, Jean and Betsy!

No comments: