Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Thursday, December 6

New Purses

Working this week on some more bags. I have one I really like and a second, well . . . not so much.
The first uses the L2 Sewing Workshop bag, made in the Alexander Henry "Frida's Garden" fabric. It was hard to find this fabric, but I managed! Ms.Kahlo would have been 100 in 2007. I can't say the faces really look like her, but the design gets the jist of her "aura".
I did use the gusset this time. I cut four in fake suede and sewed them in place before putting the entire bag together. This seems easier than waiting until the bag is constructed, then adding the gusset. I also show a photo of the inside of the bag - in this case, it is a striped fabric. Check out the pockets! I am going to prepare at tutorial on the importance of good pockets in bags.

The second bag is not so successful. I decided to fly out on my own, cut a pattern of my design, and while it is OK, it isn't what I hoped. The problem is the handle. I covered cording with the fake suede and it just isn't substantial enough. And I think it looks terrible on the front closing of the bag. Also, I used a quite stiff interfacing, so the top does not droop as gracefully as I'd imagined.
I am going to do some surgery on this bag on the weekend. Cut the handle off and add a different one. Hand stitch the binding in place. Next time, I will add something to create some "thickness" in the body. It is too flat!


































No comments: