Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, January 4

And now - for me!

First off, I want to show you my new sewing machine. I have a Viking 500 I've had for about 12 years. BUT I've been thinking about experiementing with embrodiery, so I purchased a Singer Quantum 250. It is both a regular sewing machine and an embrodiery machine. You can connect it to your computer and digitize your own graphics, etc.



In the big Christmas sewing frenzy, I did not want to use the new machine in case I had problems, so gave the old Viking a real workout. But now I have the new one out and set up to sew as a regular machine. My plan is to sew as a regular machine for a while until I get used to it, then try the emboridery one long winter weekend!



Here are the items on my "To Do" board. I want to make a couple of flannel nightgowns (given the cold weather in Ohio), so that is my first project - one from Butterick and one from McCalls. I think those are easy first "getting back to sewing" projects!



I have had the Burda dress pattern for a while - not sure how long. I like the front detail, so I think that may be my first dress. There are a few more projects on the baord - an apron, shirts for my husband and a fleece vest for me, as well as a few dresses and tops/skirts. And then I want to try the two Hot Patterns pictured above - the Artful Dodger Dress and MEtropolitan Jacket. I have five yards of a nice aqua/turquoise/off white silk chiffon I will use for the dress. Not sure about what I will use for the jacket - I have some velvet but it is Christmas green, maybe some of the rayon I have in purple or hot pink.


So stay tuned, I am going to start sewing to bead the band on these projects!









No comments: