Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Saturday, February 16

Can Spring Be Far Away?

Spring might be on its way - way back two weeks ago, when Puxatawney Phil saw his shadow, Buckeye Chuck did not. So maybe it will be spring-like in Ohio while it is still winter in Pennsylvania!

Anyway, I looked at some of the new items in the McCalls pattern book last weekend. At the time I looked at 5589 and thought - I've sewn that before - back in the 70's. I didn't think that much of it. But in the meantime, I've found a piece of fabric I'd forgotten - not sure when I got it. It is a thin cotton with a sort of India design in blue. Shades of the 60's and 70's, I know. Anyway, I can just see this top in the longer version, in that fabric. I may have to make it for summer.
Now I must have been on this nostalgia trip for a bit, as I noted I purchased this pattern last summer - McCalls 5337. Again, that 70's vibe called to me. So I may have two 70's style tops for the summer.

1 comment:

Lisa H. said...

I like those tops too.I bought 5337 last year and never got around to making it.Maybe this spring.I look forward to seeing yours.