Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, March 2

New Simplicity Patterns for Spring

Did you get an email yesterday with new Simplicity patterns for spring? I loved S2981, this wrap dress, so much, I ran out and got it about two hours after reading that email.



It is difficult to tell from the photos, but the dress has several godets to make the skirt fuller. It also takes a lot of material - 7-3/8 to 7-5/8 45", depending on size, for the white wrap dress. Fabric recommended is laundered cottons, lightweight pique or poplin, chalis, crepe back stain, crepe de chine, etc.


I have some nice teal rayon that might make work. I think I'd try first the b&w on the left side of the photo. The only thing I didn't like was the darn tab thing on the sleeve - I've never liked those things!!!!!


Now the suit in the other pattern, I'm not sure about. I do like the jacket, but the skirt just looks like it would gap or be difficult to fit. The photo even looks like there is a problem in the front seam. I didn't get this one, as the larger photo in the pattern catalog makes it look even more of a problem. Its charms may grow on me.

1 comment:

Amy Bailes said...

Hi Sally, Like you I also love the pattern for the dress! I'm waiting for Simplicity to go on sale at Hancock's. As for the jacket and skirt pattern, I've always been told that double-breasted jackets make your chest look larger! Mine is big enough, thank you.