Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, April 4

Fabrics from Victoria, British Columbia

While on my trip, I took the advice of the people who'd posted at PatternReview and visited Gala Fabrics in Victoria, British Columbia.

Karen, our sales woman, was wonderful and I was able to add quite a few bits and pieces to my fabric stash. I tried to go for things that were foreign or that I'd never seen before.

Remnants - Gala has a large remnant area. I picked these up:

Very light aqua stretch cotton - 1.9 metres. Poly organza with embrodiery - 1.8 metres.
Silk with red flower print 10 x 40 perfect for a scarf. Ivory brocade with pink and lime stripes sized 8 x 42 - a yoke perhaps?
Four yards of cotton sateen - a great summer dress or perhaps a robe? Two yards of Japanese cotton - part of a great top or jacket?
Shangrala by Timeless Treasures(??) which is available here, but I've never been able to find it. Love the peacocks.
Three yards of a corded cotton from Japan. Actually a light pink and a dark pink, not purple as it appears here.
I also picked up two baggies full of embrodiered, sequined and beaded laces in various colors for crazy quilting! Can't wait to dig in here.



No comments: