Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, June 9

The Stash Contest - Project 1 and Beginnings of 2 and 3

CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTO

Project 1: Pat's Birthday Binkie! (ABOVE)
This is the first project for the Pattern Review Stash Reduction Contest. I used a combo of techniques to make the crazy squares, then added borders, a flannel wadding, and a green backing. I lightly quilted it by machine. All together, I used an amazing 15.3 yards of fabricon this project. And Pat really likes it.

Project 2 & 3: Joan's Birthday Blankies! (BELOW)
These aren't finished as yet, but I have the tops done, awaiting quilting and binding. Actually the third photo was going to be the backing for the second, but I decided I like it so much, so it will become its own blanket. By the time I'm done, I will have used 8 yards on each of these, for a total of 16 yards, exclusive of binding.
CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTOS

TOTAL STASH REDUCTION: 31.3 YARDS!!!

And it made me go through my stash with a critical eye - I've got two large paper shopping bags full of quilting cotton to put on Craig's List soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great. I love the colours in the first one you made for Pat.