Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, August 24

Sewing? What sewing?

If you've visited this blog in the past couple of months, you have probably remarked upon the notable absence of any sewing.
Between vacation, my grandson's surgery, going through three rough weeks of bronchitis, and, now, a discovery that why I am so worn out all the time is that my thyroid is out of whack - well I have not had either the desire or ability to sew much at all.
Not that I haven't done anything at all. In early July, I made a top from a Simplicity pattern and I have a matching skirt cut out. I also have a dress cut out, that I had to order more fabric for so I could cut out the sleeves. Well the weather has caught up with me - these are just too summerish for the upcoming fall season. Not that it gets cool here in southern Ohio very quickly, but a cotton mermaid pattern dress just doesn't work in October - unless it is the 31st!!
I also have not gotten it together to even start my coat for the Great Coat Sew Along. I was going to bow out, but visited the blog and found that there were many others in the same boat, for a variety of reasons - some have the muslin done, but some have not started. So I am not alone in being behind.
I also made another crazy patch quilt, in teal and aqua tones, for my bed. It is king size. I need to find a large enough space to spread the flannel backing and the top out and pin them.
No photos of any of these things at this point. So . . . once I get my brain chemistry back into alignment, I will get going on that sewing!

1 comment:

Amy Bailes said...

Hi Sally! I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for a meme about yourself. If you would like to participate please go over to my blog. Have a great day.