Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, August 10

New Burda Plus - And Still No Camera

Still no camera - I'm almost to the nashing of teeth point. But my new BURDA PLUS magazine arrived today and it has lots of things I really liked.

Jacket 425 - Burda says "Time after Time This ultra-easy jacket of lightweight knit loden cloth is a handy house and office companion, all in one. Our trendy piece has long kimono sleeves and patch pockets. Open-edge construction means that you will have it sewn in a flash! This jacket was designed exclusively for petite/half sizes!"

I think a nice double napped flannel would be snuggly for winter evenings. And a sweater knit for day?



414 A Dressing Gown/Robe Burda says "Good Day Sunshine You’ll feel like a Hollywood diva in this luxurious garment! The fact that our silk dressing gown feels so wonderful next to the skin definitely puts it at the top of your must-sew list…"

A flannel backed satin for this one?


413 Tunic and 415 Pants Burda says: "Elegant Minimal effort, maximal effect! This wrap-over tunic is easy to sew yet looks fantastic made up in this fabric. Slim-cut satin trousers make legs look oh so long... "

It would take more than slim cut pants to make my legs "OH SO LONG", but I do like the tunic. And when you compare the drawing with the dressing gown, you'll see it is one and the same pattern - only change is a sleeve. I think this would be a fun tunic to wear.




403 Top and 404A Trousers - Burda says "Office 
expert 
Save your strength by making this easy-sew top that looks so sophisticated! The front has a plunging cowl neckline that connects to an extended standing collar at the back. Team with classic flannel trousers/pants for the ultimate business look."

I like the top, but probably not in grey - maybe a color? Trousers seem ok - could I do a one color outfit?




407 Skirt + 409 Frock coat Burda says" Present your best side! Both the long, fitted frock coat and the slim pencil skirt create a suave silhouette! Careful detailing makes the difference, as proven by the long, pointed lapels and large button on the coat and by the wide yoke with horn buttons on the skirt."

Quite like this Frock Coat suit - similar to one in Burda a couple of years ago. Makes a nice suit. I have some navy wool that might work for this.



401 Dress Burda says: "Boardroom break 
Kick off your shoes and relax! You’ll look great in this knee-length dress in a trendy balloon shape. The eye-catcher on an otherwise plain dress is the plunging V-neckline with clever center pleat."

I like the neckline, but it looks somewhat bulky on the photo. I have a top this summer that is a print with a similar gathering and love they way it hangs. Maybe you just don't notice the bulk because of the ikat print? I might make this in a print, but without the gathered bottom.

So there you go - my picks for the best of BURDA PLUS. Now if I just had time to sew!!

No comments: