Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, January 21

Yes I've been SEWING, not posting

Now there is a super secret sewing project I've been on, photos of which I shall post after my pal P receives her birthday present. But meanwhile, I've been sewing as I planned - which is an amazing thing in itself!





The cat fabric above is flannel. Yesterday I completed (aside from the buttons) a long flannel nightgown from Butterick 4670. It was fine, the instructions were clear, but it took longer than I thought it would. I made some changes - no frills or lace, I put a bias binding on the collar, cuffs and hem.




I have almost completed a second nightgown. This is in flannel backed satin. I did not have quite enough, to make what I wanted, and of course when I returned to the store, they did not have the fabric. So I got a plain pink and I am using that for the sleeves. It is close to done, and I hope to finish it tonight. I added a short but full flounce to the bottom of the nightgown and will use the Russian Doll fabric as a binding on the sleeves to tie it together a bit.



And finally, I found some "almost sweater knit" on clearance. I just love this fabric for some reason - the varigated reds attracted me. I am not usually a red person, but I seem to be developing a theme, given the bags shown below and this fabric. I am going to use this fabric to make Simplicty 3804, a Khaliah Ali Collection dress. I hope to get started on it later today.

With the holiday today, I must admit, I am lazing a bit. The laundry is in the machine, and I have been reading. I want to get to the Sunday papers and a few magazines I picked up - the new Threads and the new Sewing News. Wish me luck!

No comments: