I had an unexpected opportunity to sew today. So I cut out and made a knit top, Simplicity 3697. I love this top! The pattern is super easy to put together. I used a mottled brown and purple fabric with the design printed in brown over the mottling. I think this is just on the edge of being out of style - just my luck.
Of course, I created a little diversion for myself. The pattern states 2 - 1/2 yards of 60 inch fabric. Well . . . I had two yards of 52 inch fabric. Determined to proceed, I cut out most of the pattern pieces without a problem. However, I did not have enough of the fabric to cut out the ties. I think I have the least fabric left over I've ever had on any project. I had to find an alternative, as the design required the ties and they really couldn't be skipped.
Which gave me the opportunity to demonstrate to my husband the value of a stash!!!! I pulled out my box of purple cottons and found a batik with very similar colors in it. I had about 1/3 a yard - enough for the ties and facings. I put the facings on the outside of the top in the batik. I then sewed three times along the edges in a gold metallic thread - not the shiny ribbon kind, more the mottled sort of gold. I think it turned out quite nicely.
Another Pattern Review tomorrow and I'll photo myself in the top then.