Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, March 9

Snow Day Project - Simplicity 3697 Knit Top



I had an unexpected opportunity to sew today. So I cut out and made a knit top, Simplicity 3697. I love this top! The pattern is super easy to put together. I used a mottled brown and purple fabric with the design printed in brown over the mottling. I think this is just on the edge of being out of style - just my luck.


Of course, I created a little diversion for myself. The pattern states 2 - 1/2 yards of 60 inch fabric. Well . . . I had two yards of 52 inch fabric. Determined to proceed, I cut out most of the pattern pieces without a problem. However, I did not have enough of the fabric to cut out the ties. I think I have the least fabric left over I've ever had on any project. I had to find an alternative, as the design required the ties and they really couldn't be skipped.

Which gave me the opportunity to demonstrate to my husband the value of a stash!!!! I pulled out my box of purple cottons and found a batik with very similar colors in it. I had about 1/3 a yard - enough for the ties and facings. I put the facings on the outside of the top in the batik. I then sewed three times along the edges in a gold metallic thread - not the shiny ribbon kind, more the mottled sort of gold. I think it turned out quite nicely.
Another Pattern Review tomorrow and I'll photo myself in the top then.

No comments: