Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, April 11

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNIFER MARIE!!!!


Sunday, April 13th marks the 29th birthday of my dear niece, Jennifer. I was there when she was born, saw her when she was only minutes old, took care of her while I was in grad school, and have had a "psychic connection" with her all her life - or she has with me! When she was a baby and little girl I sewed for her all the time - smocked nightgowns, clothes, dolls. But that was a long time ago now. And my plan to be "Aunt Emily" to Jennifer, Kristie and Kimberly went by the wayside.
Jennifer is concerned about turning 29.
I remember that my 28th and 29th birthdays were the worst for me - I was more focused on what I hadn't done that I thought I should have, not on all the accomplishments and achievements until then. I saw 30 as a real watershed. In retrospect, this was silly and in the ensuing - gosh 25 years!!!!!! (almost twice as long as the age I was approaching) - I've found that all things come when you are ready. When I actually turned 30, I had a wonderful time. When I turned 40, I didn't want to - so we spent 10 days in London so I didn't have [a strange theory about the time difference meaning I really hadn't been born if I was there] - and 50, well for the first time ever, I thought "I wonder when I'm going to die?"!
What about the rest of you? Was turning 30 the worst time of your life? Or did other ages inpact you more?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely turning 30 was the worst for me. I had read the book Frenchman's Creek a couple of times and in it the heroine was about to turn 30 and considered her life to be over. (Mind you the setting of the book was in the 1500s and I guess 30 was old then). Anyway I got that same dread of turning 30. Very funny when I look back at pictures and see how young I was. I will be 55 next weekend and am happy with it. I remember a TV commercial for some retirement plan used the term "Freedom 55" and show retirees walking on the beach. I think I have the mindset that life will be a bowl of cherries now!

Sally said...

Hi Heather!

Thanks for your comment. I turned 54 in March, so I guess I have a year to go until "Freedom 55"!

I visited your blog and saw you were having problems with the Simplicity 3990 pattern. I didn't read each one in detail, but I made the view D. I had a few fitting problems with it, and found that the back was quite a bit larger than I anticipated. The top I made is OK, but I will be happier with another in a different fabric. The fabric was quite "ravel-ey" and hard to sew.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sally

Kristy Chan said...

Hi Sally

I turned 30 last year, and I have to say it was not much different from the previous year! I think this is a great time in life, having got myself established in a lot of things and having a lot more self confidence than I did in my 20s. I hope your niece cheers up!