Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Wednesday, August 13

Fabric and Lace Finds

Here are some more of the items I gleaned from the antique and fabric shops of northern Indiana. You never know where you will find something great!

First, I picked up this Singer Dressmaking Guide, copywrited from 1935 to 1947. I hope to gather a number of vintage "tips" from this. Then, I found six yards of this wonderful lace - I think they are fushias. Both were at an antique mall in South Bend, Indiana.

Also at the South Bend antique mall, I found the fabric on the left. It is a heavy upholstry velour. There is about 3/4 of a yard of 60 inch wide fabric. It will make a fabulous bag for winter. Then the fabrics on the right were a real find. I bought the green rayon to make my husband a shirt - oh a good six to seven years ago. Well Yoder's Department store in Shipshewana, Indiana had the pink on their clearance table - $3,98 a yard. So now we will have coordinating shirts.

Also from Yoder's, the black Chevy fabric - picked out by DH of course. This is the first time he has found some fabric he loves - he grabbed the bolt and said he must have it (he he he, the fever spreads!!!!!!!!!!!!). Then I found a great rayon batik for a skirt - it is purple, with brown and gold colors. And, finally, I picked up one of the Pumpkins Gone Wild panels to make a quick hanging for the fall. Just love the retro fabrics with this panel.

I got a scad of books and magazines - here are samples of those that are specifically sewing related:

Log Cabin Quilts is a nice book with some different ideas - $8 from a vendor at the Sunday morning Canal Street Market in Chicago. The Silk Ribbon Keepsakes was less than $5, and came from one of the antique malls in Indiana, as did the two Magazines - both from the 1930's at a cost of $4.

Combined with the other books I picked up, I should have lots of inspiration for the next year.

No comments: