Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Wednesday, October 22

I'm Finally Getting Down to It!!!!!!!

The past week or so has been quite busy at the sewing machine. The first photo is of a crazy patch quilt top for my d-i-law for Christmas. It is 25 11 inche squares, with a 2.5 inch border. I've decided to put one more border on it, but you can see the combination of fabrics I used - hot pink, peach, paler pink with small touches of yellow, purple and green. (Modeled by DH!) I have still to quilt it.

In fact, I liked the combination so well, I took all the little scraps and pieces, and made a number of 4.5 inch squares, shown in the second photo draped on the ironing board. I want to use this for a summer bag. I am still looking at it, trying to decide if I want to cut it up one more time to mix the fabrics even more.

On November 1, Courtney turns 13! All girls (of any age) need a new dress for their birthday. In fact, I was surprised she wanted one, as she is such a tomboy. She picked out the dress pattern - Simplicity 3629, a Project Runway pattern. I used a cheaper red satin, with a sequin fabric for the yoke. I did this as I know she will be very tough on this dress. I ended up having to use Fray Check all around the dress pieces. In the photo above, you can see the dress in progress-I plan to add some of the sequined fabric to the sleeve as well. Because her birthday is so close to Christmas she wanted a red one.

Today, I was at Joanne's, looking at the McCalls patterns that were on sale. I picked up this coat pattern - Hillary Duff M5765. I think I will get some red fleece fabric and make a coat for her for Christmas to match the dress.
On Monday night I had a sleepless night, so I got some of this sewing done then. I also cut out a muslin for a man's shirt to fit for my DH. I haven't basted together as yet, but that is coming quickly. I also sewed a two layer fleece blanket for Christmas for Courtney's brother Skyler, so that is one present down.

No comments: