Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Saturday, November 29

Finally, some sewing


AHHHHHH.

Today I sewed. I've wanted a Christmas bag for the past couple of years, but ended up making things for others first. Today, I decided to make something for me first.
The pattern is from The Perfect Bag: 101 Stylish Looks From Simple Patterns by Linda McGehee (see it on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Bag-Stylish-Simple-Patterns/dp/0896894096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228008929&sr=8-1). I made the large size. I did have a bit of trouble - I didn't cut the outside pocket quite wide enough, so had to move it down on the center part until it was close to matching.
The fabric I used was purchased at Valley Quilts in Trenton, Ohio (see at http://www.valleyquiltsonline.com/). I don't know the name of the pattern or the manufacturer. I bought four fat quarters at their $1.50 sale last week, and none have the salvedge with the info from the manufacturer. But is is a nice holly pattern. In retrospect, I should have gotten two of the green and one of the cream, instead of the opposite - then the body of the bag would be green rather than cream.

I lined it with the scraps of the fabic I used for Courtney's red satin dress.
It was so nice to finally have the chance to sit down and make something with no interuptions! And I've already got all my "contents" in the bag, ready to go for December 1st.

No comments: