Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, January 12

Discovery of First Quilt Patch


Here is something fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really never know what is buried in your sewing room that you can discover when you CLEAN IT UP and ORGANIZE it!

This is the first quilt block I made. I don't remember exactly when - probably either in high school or within a few years after. I know I used that black floral for a summer dress, so this must have been made from the scraps from that dress. It is hand sewn, hand cut with scissors (there were no rotary cutters then). I must have used templates to cut the pieces, I don't remember.

I do remember that I got the Dover copy of Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns, re-published in the 1970's using the original 1930's book. At the time, this was one of the few resources available for quilting. The design is winged square.

Today, you can go to http://www.101patchworkpaterns.com and download the book or any individual patterns.

No comments: