Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, January 12

MATERIALISM - It is a serious disease - Part 2

As a follow-up to my previous post, I mentioned that I'd ordered fabric in 2008 because I wasn't going to order any in 2009. Here is my haul - and after going through my stash to reorganize it, I really really really did not need anymore.

First up, an order from Fabric Mart. I love Fabric Mart - great fabric, great price, and prompt delivery.

The photo on the left shows, from the top, lilac stretch velvet, an ITTY stretch for a top, a yellow velveteen (not sure what for), dusty aqua wool, a poly-rayon basketweave for a suit, and a pink/lavender boucle for a spring suit. On the right is the free bundle (10 yards if you order a certain level of fabric), that shows, from the top, 2 yards of a plaid silk dupioni, 3 yards of a crinkled panne velvet (this will be a dynamite top or dress for my d-in-l next year), 3 yards of black linen, 3 yards of a dark blue (although it looks much lighter) rayon and something else gabradine.

Then, I ordered from Fabric.com. They are always a reliable supplier and offer a huge variety of fabric from which to choose. The photos below show the pieces. On the left are two wools: a teal basketweave that I've been watching for a while, and a great wool that the photo does not do justice to. The wool is aqua, dark brown, beige in a square design. I just love it. It will become a coat or something similar. The cotton assortment is in the second photo: a stretch cotton for skirt/pants, then across the front, a light blue broadcloth (that does not match the polished cotton print I'd purchased the fabric to match!), two pieces of Kaffe Fassett cotton, and a Christmas Toy design on ivory. Finally, a great crinkled stripe in aqua - it was on the $1.99 list, and I wasn't sure about it, but I really like it. It will be a great summer outfit.



Then, an order from Hancocks. Hancocks is sometimes not as quick as I would like, but they do have good clearance selections. On the left is a floral from Amy Butler that was on clearance, as was the pink peony. The blue "fortuny" damask is a cotton print. All of these will be great summer skirts. Finally, I've been collecting the Simplicity line by 3 Sisters for Moda to make a quilt eventually. It was on clearance at Hancocks, so I grabbed some more!

Finally, I ordered from e-quilter.com. However, I have not received my order as yet. I actually ordered from e-quilter a few days before I ordered from any other site. A few days ago, when it had exceeded 10 days, I finally emailed. I got a response - that they had sent my order that day, but I was very disappointed. They are a bit slower in sending things out on the average order, but this is really too too slow. Still have not got the package! Maybe this week?

No comments: