Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, January 26

Sewing This Week


Sewing this week has been fruitful. I tired of quilt piecing, so made something different. This lounge wear was made from McCalls 5768, a tunic and caftan pattern. I'm listing it on Pattern Review - see the link to it in the right hand column.

I quite like it. I had some knit I purchased last year, in a nice pink and white stripe. The feel is sort of "minky-ish" and it is super-comfortable and warm. With another winter storm coming our way, this is an important fashion choice for the next few weeks! Now I wish I would have bought the blue and white stripe too.

Here is the Carpenter's Wheel quilt as it stands as of Tuesday. I sewed all four together, with a border of very light wood design. I've got the next border cut ready to go. It is a plain medium chocolate brown (no wood), and another plain in a "light" navy blue. This border is going to be 1 inch blue, 2 inch brown, then 1 inch blue again. That will be followed by a row of dark half-squares, and a row of light half-squares, then blue again. I hope the blue will be a cool and still counterpoint to the warm wood colors.

No comments: