Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, January 18

Weekend Sewing


I didn't get as much done this weekend as I'd like, but I do have tomorrow to continue sewing. This photo shows one of the Carpenter's Wheel as it stands right now. (Pinned up on two bulletin boards, with lots of "stuff" around it!)
Today, I have sewn together several squares in order to determine what design I should use to add to the four Carpenter's Wheels. I spent about half an hour moving things around, until I came up with a satisfactory design. The photos below show the approach I'm going to take.
This row of three photos shows the two rows that will be added.

And this is a larger photo of the entire block with the additions. Of course the additions are a bit out of proportion as they haven't been trimmed and sewn together, but it gives the general idea.

Now the question - Adding those two rows where? My thought is to add the rows to each block on the inside edges - so the top or bottom and one side. That will increase the center by sixteen inches across (both vertically and horizontally). Since just the four blocks are almost queen sized, this should take it to close to king size. Then I will not add any borders to the outside edge, or a very small and plain one. So I hope to have the top finished tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: