Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, February 6

Carpenter's Wheel Corner Blocks Ready to GO!




I finally have finished the four corner blocks for the Carpenter's Wheel Quilt. Finding blocks with appropriate names and appearance was a bit harder than I thought it would be.

--The upper left is Buzz Saw. I took a block at Quilter's Cache and modified it - added more "teeth" to the saw.

--The upper right is Jacob's Ladder. This is a pretty common block and I took the pattern from one of my quilt pattern books.

--The lower left is Carpenter's or Builder's Square. Again, a fairly common block and I got the pattern from a couple of books. I varied the placement of fabrics. This was the most difficult block to make. I had to do it twice, as the first time it was too small at the end!

--The lower right is Thor's Hammer. This was the most difficult to find. There are virtually no blocks I could find that had the noun Hammer in it. This was the only one. I also saw it referred to as War Hammer.

SO, now I have all the borders and corner blocks ready to attach to the main quilt. This weekend, I hope to have this top finished. Wish me luck.

No comments: