Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, February 2

Weekend Sewing 2-2-09


Wish I got more done, but this is my output for the weekend. First, little Zman is going to preschool this week for the first time. He has to have a blanket for quiet time, so you know grandma had to make one for him. It is pretty simple - fleece with fringe, but I wanted to add his name. This turned into a multi-hour ordeal, sewing, ripping, applique, ripping - I finally dug out my heavy strength iron on adhesize and used that for the letters. I ripped a plain 8.5X11 sheet of paper into quarters, then made a pattern of each letter.

I made a second lounger from McCalls 5768, using similar fabic, but in green and white. This time, I raised the slit opening a bit, but other than that, it is the same and is as comfortable as the pink and white lounger I made earlier.

I cut a third one out to be made in cotton, but somehow got confused - I thought I had four yards, but I only had 3! Of course, I did not figure this out until after I had the first piece cut out. So I spent a lot of time on Sunday looking for the same fabric (an Alexander Henry from 2006), in the same color. I did finally find it at The Quilted Fox in St. Louis, MO, so am waiting for the delivery of the new fabric to complete that project.

No comments: