Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Tuesday, March 31

Eleven Tiny Kimonos - and two patterns

CLICK ON PHOTO TO MAKE BIGGER
Eleven little kimonos, ready to be made into blocks for the geisha round robin. The pattern came from the Haru Kaze pattern for In The Beginning fabrics. LINK here to the pattern pdf. It is partly paper pieced.

The color theme is ivory, tan and black. There were 12 little kimonos, but one was not the right size for some reason. I still can't figure it out - I miscut something, yet the block went together fine - it was just an inch and a half too short. Stay tuned for progress on these little blocks as I put them together and into a border.

Then, I picked up two patterns for ebay. The nightgown pattern, Simplicity 8775, is from 1978. I like long nightgowns. Makes one feel more feminine. This one is elasticized at neck and wrist and looks very easy to make. The second pattern, Simplicity 4134, is not as vintage - no date, but I think it is from the past five years or so. Nice asian top that I hope to use with some great fabrics.

No comments: