Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Saturday, March 7

Two new things and a potential wadder!

I have been sewing the past week or so, but haven't felt like taking photos. The last tinges of winter blahs, I hope. Today is 72 degrees, so maybe spring is here.

First up, an apron I made from Simplicity 5201. I have had this pattern for a while - its copywrite is 2004 and it has migrated to the back of the section. I really like the style, but didn't realize you have to pull it on and off over your head. I did a Pattern Review that you can read by clicking on the sidebar link.


Then I made a Butterick 5261, a Connie Crawford design. It is pretty basic in design, with straight lines and no fitting. I was hoping that it would fit better, but the neck is huge on me. Because I used a peachy-pink uncut corduroy, I was going for a spring look. Using left over Fresh Cut quilting fabric, I used one pattern for the collar, another for the cuffs, a third to bind the facing and hem, and a fourth mixed with the first three for the covered buttons. I don't think I will make this again - it is too large all over, even though I went according to the measurements in selecting the size to make. Link in the sidebar to the Pattern Review.

And then there is this! It is yet another version of the McCalls pattern that I made my loungers out of. It has almost become a wadder several times. First, the fabric was a very inexpensive poly that I bought because I have some great linen in the key lime color that I thought would be great. I ended up having to hand sew the yoke and the hems in. I haven't finished the bottom of the tunic because I was certain I'd cut it unevenly. It doesn't look like it in this picture however. I've had a few pulls in the fabric, but they don't show due to the print. I don't know about it all now - it could still become a wadder!

No comments: