Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Saturday, March 7

Vintage Pattern I'd Kill For

I had this pattern while in high school (circa 1969). I made a great dress in lavendar dotted swiss, and the duster coat in a darker purple. The sleeves are great - slimmer at the shoulder, then from a seam about midway between shoulder and elbow, a two piece sleeve that ballons to a tight cuff with three buttons.

I have been looking for it for quite a while. About four months ago I determined to sign up for a search on ebay, as well as check vintage sites frequently. I could not remember who the pattern maker was - I was thinking Butterick, nto McCalls, but I also remembered the yellow block on the left.

Well it finally came up in a lot of 20 patterns that is for sale right now. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it. I hope I can win it, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: