Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, July 12

Vintage Pattern Snags=Part Six



Here are three patterns that I am sure were the same woman's selections. Two are dated 1950 and one 1951. Same size and by same vendor at the antique mall.

That jacket is just the classic look, don't you think? Grey wool would really do it, exactly as pictured. The dress pattern in the middle just looks like a comfortable summer dress. I love the yoke/shoulder treatment and am going to figure out how to use it. And the third, what we in North America would call a jumper, is listed on the pattern as a skirt. Again I like the neckline treatment.

These are not the high fashion looks of the day from what I've been able to determine. But they are typical fashions for the woman of the day. I just really liked the three, and the three together made a great homage to the turn of decade fashion.

No comments: