Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Tuesday, August 18

Wooo Hooo Camera is Back!

See I did sew earlier this summer! I've been telling you I did. I am not going to write a review, as it has been a while and I don't remember everything. But I've had mixed reactions to this sewing.

First up, the "Mermaid Dress" - I started it last year, but was about 1/2 yard sort to make the sleeves. So got the fabric, but by then it was nearly September. I finished it this year in late June. It is a Simplicity Project Runway design, and I quite like it. I've worn it several times. I just made another this afternoon for my d-i-law who is 7 months pregnant - just added to the front and side panels to make it a bit bigger. Just a hem to do.

Second, the bright pink linen dress was an attempt to update a bit a early 1990's See & Sew pattern. I really like the dress, but have fiddled with the pleats at the waist three times - just doesn't feel right as yet. Maybe I should have put ties at the side.

Third, the "Hawaiian" print shift dress. This is a Connie Crawford pattern - the shift with the tied blouse, can't remember the number. First, I had to shorten the pattern by a good 7 inches. I do like the dress and have worn it a couple of times, but again, I had difficulty with the pleats at the waist. Don't know why I've had this theme this year. The neckline, sleeves and hem are all bound. It is a comfortable dress to wear.

Finally, two more Connie Crawford patterns. The blouse was made from a quilting cotton from Joannes - it is OK, but seems very plain to me for some reason. Oh, I did read on Pattern Review that this particular blouse had very narrow arms - and thank goodness, because I made the largest sleeves in the pattern and they fit fine.

The skirt is hiding because it is not happy with itself. Made of a linen/rayon blend, it has an elasticized waist. There are eight gores in this skirt. And it should be fine, but . . . the back side panels on both sides seem weird and sort of droop beyond the rest. I have looked at the pattern again and don't know why that is occuring. I don't think I "turned them around" when I put together, but it would be difficult to tell if you had. I like the skirt in theory, but that dropping hem is "odd". Haven't worn it and very disappointed.

Next up, I'll show you all the crocheting I've been doing this summer.

No comments: