Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Tuesday, February 26

Patterns I have known and loved

I've spent several hours the past few days looking for a specific pattern from the late 60's/early 70's. I never did find it, but I found a lot of others I've made in the past. Here are some, and what I can remember about them.
I am not sure of exactly when I made the pants and vest or the dress with the scarf, but it was sometime while in junior high or high school, so the range would be about 1967 to 1972. I think these were from the earlier side of that range. I think the dress was green, but I'm not certain anymore.
Then this dress came along - I know I made the long version. In white and in blue. Maybe more than twice! Again the same range as above, or maybe just a tad later.
I was thrilled to see this pattern. I made the middle dress - short puff sleeve - for my high school graduation in June 1972. Amazingly enough, a few months ago, I found this dress in a box! It is white cotton with pink and white flowers. If I can find it again, I'll take a photo.
Now this is quite specific - the summer of 1973! The summer of the Jolly Green Giant and Bertha Butt - does anyone else remember that crazy tune? I know I wore this when I went out with the new boyfriend after work from my summer job. Again, not specific as to material, but I made the one on the left.
I absolutely loved this dress. I made it in several different fabrics in the late 70's. A burgundy fake suede. A pink and white floral print. A black satin. It looked great and felt great. I think I wore this when I was finishing up University in 1977/78 or so, maybe just a bit later.
The description of this dress was 1970's, but I know I made it in 1982/3. My memory is quite specific, as I moved to Mississippi in 82 and it was so hot, I couldn't cope. This loose dress was very helpful. I know I made it in a sheer chiffon - small floral, peach and brown.

There were a number of others - and some I wondered how I missed! It was fun to see these old friends again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it great fun? Almost like pulling out the old photo albums, but maybe even better because when we look at these old patterns we can almost re-live all the daydreams we put into them. It's that way for me anyway! I just found my first pattern on a vintage pattern website. It was a darling denim wrap-around jumper from 1975-7th grade!

Sharon Sews said...

I also love looking at the vintage patterns (as well as collecting way too many of them) I remember sewing a version of that "Sizzler" dress also.