Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, May 9

Vintage Fabric Finds


CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTO!!

Last weekend we decided to go to one of the large Antique Malls in Springfield, Ohio. If you are driving across country on I-70, you might want to consider stopping. There are three, and all are good, but my favorite is the easternmost mall, Heart of Ohio.
Anyway, in looking through everything, I found a stash of vintage fabrics I grabbed. The light blue flowered sateen is only 36 wide and about 1.3 yards, but it will make a great panel for the Xceptional Shirt or something similar, matched with a plain or subtly patterned fabric.
The second is a polished cotton with great medallions in teal, dark blue, gold and purple. There is 4.5 yards of this great fabric from the late 60's/early 70's, so I can make a real retro top or dress.
Finally, some cotton/poly leno print in purple and lime. Again, more than 4 yards, so it will make a great summer dress.
I have to stop buying fabric and get going on making things!

No comments: