Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Wednesday, December 31

2008 Unfinished

I have two unfinished projects from 2008. Let me tell you about them!

First, I am making a quilt for my brother, Mark. It is going slower than I'd hoped. I picked fabrics that are wood grain, and first had to collect several of those. The design is called Carpenter's Wheel: in the traditional design, there are a lot of diamonds. The Easy Carpenter's Wheel uses half-squares and squares, and is easier to put together. I downloaded the design from http://www.quilterscache.com. This site is a great source for blocks and ideas. My intent is to take the design into a third round of diamonds. With four of these large squares, I'll just need to add a border and the quilt will be done.

Round 1 sewn so far The design Round two cut and prepared to be sewn together

The second unfinished project is my sewing room decor. I have made yards of crazy patch in pink and green. However, I'm still not happy - the green is just too dominating! So I will continue this project. Sew two photos of the projects below.

No comments: