Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Wednesday, December 31

Sweep Up of Christmas Sewing

I haven't been blogging in the past week or so, as things have been so terribly hectic. But before the year ends, and 2009 begins, I wanted to update my blog with my Christmas related sewing.

First off, the matching tree skirt and table runner I made the weekend before Christmas. The varigated fabric is a Santa head quilting cotton, the dark blue has a tiny little green dot, and the backing for both items (and part of the four patch on the table runner) is a red seersucker with a white dot. The table runner is shown folded in half and runs along the table with all inserts in it, so plenty long enough. I did not use a pattern for either of these. Both will be packed away for future Christmases!!!

The second set is not exactly sewing, but it is related. One of the gifts I wanted for DH (or here, headless husband) was out of stock everywhere. So I came up with the idea of printing designs that mean something to him, and applying them to shirts. I found a wonderfully soft all cotton, long sleeve t at Walmart. The first photo is a stained glass window of St. Joan of Arc, the second green is her Coat of Arms granted by the King of France, and the final is a photo of an embrodiery from the Order of the Dragon, which was confered by the King of Hungary. The white shirt is an iron-on transfer, and the other two were printed onto treated fabric, then sewn onto the shirts.

Third, is the dress I made for my husband's grand daughter. It was supposed to be for her birthday, but we didn't see her until Christmas Day. This is a photo of her in the dress. The pattern envelope shows Simplicity 3629, a Project Runway pattern. Very easy to put together.


Finally, for my step-son, I made a fleece pullover using the vintage men's pajamas pattern on the left. He really liked it and put it on immediately. In grey fleece, the hems were just turned and sewn. The thing I'd change is the double layer of fleece on the collar and facing - I'd either make it a single layer, or a lighter facing fabric.

No comments: