Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, December 19

Double Header Gift Day

Yesterday I had a double header. I was able to finish two gifts in a single day.


First, I finished off the quilt for my daughter-in-law. She requested something "pink and girly" because with the two boys and Oman, she is feeling sort of "boyed-out". I quilted this very very lightly, onto pink flannel. I like this method because it is quick, and the resulting quilt can be used year round.

IF YOU ARE RELATED TO ME DON"T LOOK ANY FURTHER IN THIS POST!!!!




Second, I made a bike basket shopping bag for my aunt in Vancouver. It is in denim with a nice cotton print lining. I used the instructions for SHOP AND RIDE YOUR BIKE by Craftleftovers (http://craftleftovers.blogspot.com). I made a few changes – I added a purse zipper on the outside of one long side so she can carry papers. I also added thick interfacing in the bottom and quilted it to make sure there is padding. The result is pictured below. The photo on the left is "hot off the sewing machine" and the one on the right is shown with some boxes, to give the "virtual" shopping experience appearance.

However, that meant I was sewing until 11:30 last night – and I am pooped. No sewing today, although I am washing fleece I am going to use tomorrow to make overalls for the boys. Aside from lunch with a friend and some sewing, I'm trying to relax.

No comments: