Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, December 12

Sewing a Roll Up to Organize Purse

I found this idea on a couple of different sites, so I thought I'd try the "roll up" method of organizing my purse.
The first step is to lay out the items you have in your purse. These items totalled 30 inches.
I cut my two fabrics 32 inches, sewed them together, then used 7 inches of a very stiff interfacing for the backing. I did not interface the front "pocket".
The photo above is of the completed roll up from the back. The one below shows a close-up of the roll up pockets.

The first photo is the final product and here it is in my bag (the Christmas bag from Thanksgiving weekend). In playing with it a bit, I found that a looser roll, that was longer, actaully worked better as it filled the purse more completely.
Mr. Security, my husband, contends it makes things easier for the bad guys to just grab and go, However, I think I am going to like it.
You can "roll up" the roll up to different lengths and widths. The only problem I encountered was that once I put the pockets in, I discovered I hadn't allowed enough room for the "width" of the various items. So I ended up one pocket short. I think I am going to like this, as your various items stay in place and are easy to find. I hate pawing through everything looking for something. This should help.

No comments: