Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, December 12

This weeks sewing . . .

All week I've been working on this gift for my friend in England. it is a large tote with several pockets, and a work carrier tube. Both designed to allow quick and easy travel sewing. It is made with a variety of 1930's repro fabrics in green and yellow. The white is a matelese type fabric I've had for a number of years.

The tube or roll is quite interesting. It uses a regular mailing tube, covered with a quilted piece that can be rolled around the tube. The idea is that you take your quilt squares or embrodiery or whatever you are working on, and roll them to keep them clean and unwrinkled. I left one tube end uncovered so that little items could be stored in it. I really enjoyed making these items, although it took longer than I expected.


For the tote, I cut squares that would allow me to put the entire tube into the tote. The front has half of a Dresden Plate design. There is a three opening pocket on the outside of the back. Inside, there is another three opening pocket, and one large pocket that has a snap to close.

No comments: