Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Sunday, December 7

Working with My NEW Used Machine

A few weeks ago I mentioned having purchased a used Husquvarna Designer. I finally got it set up and used it yesterday and today.

First of all, I love the quarter inch stitch - it is exact and makes it much easier to make an accurate 1/4 inch seam. And the auto lift is difficult to get used to, but after several hours of sewing, I think I am ok with it - I didn't reach back to lift the foot the last hour or so I was sewing this evening.

I knew a few of the stitches don't work, and I was disappointed that the stipple stitch does not work. However, with the free motion, I should be able to stipple without a preset pattern. I haven't tried free motion as yet, but I did buy the Harriet Hargrave book on machine quilting today to get some ideas about the best process for achieving a good look. So, right now, I say my purchase was a good choice.

I am now thinking about selling my Viking 500 that I bought in 1997 or 1998. It is in great shape and has been a wonderful machine. A used one on Ebay sold today for $615, so that is a good indicator.

1 comment:

Liza Aleksandra said...

Hello Sally, I am looking for a new quiet sewing machine that has a few embroidery features, i.e. fonts. Can you tell me if viking 500 something that I should consider? Many thanks and happy holidays! Liza