Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Friday, December 19

MATERIALISM - It is a serious disease


(latest from http://www.fabric.com - knit for a top and two cotton lawns, one for a top and the pink for a dress)

Yes, I have to admit to a bad bad case of materialism. I've had it for years, and it doesn't seem to leave me no matter what. I have made a resolution that in 2009 I will only use my stash and not purchase new fabric (except perhaps linings when needed).

I have one and a half closets full of hanging fabric, four BIG bins full, and several smaller plastic containers. And a pile in plastic bags. I easily have thousands and thousands invested in this stash. I even cleaned some out this summer and donated it to the YWCA's quilting class, and through Craigs List. And I have a double trouble condition, because I do both quilting and clothing sewing.

(Joanne's clearance - bright pink print knit for a top, pink/yellow/green crepe de chine print, cream tencel for skirk, poly crepe overall design for dress)

Despite that, I have been contending with a terrible urge to purchase more fabric before my self-imposed deadline arrives. Here are the last pu rchases of 2008- unless someone has a fantastic sale!

(LEFT: latest from http://www.equilter.com - five different cotton prints for skirts, including a Celtic warrior, guard in the guard box and the Brit telephone booth, as well as a batik and a bird print) (RIGHT: two Moda "silkies" from the 3 Sister's Faded Memories collection, yellow floral from Simplicity line from Moda, and two "Pumpkins Gone Wild" cottons - don't remember where I got it from!!).

And I still have an order coming with a couple more cotton prints - I won a $10 gift certificate from the FABSHOPHOP, then spent a few dollars more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog came as a search result for my store "sew-materialistic.com". I like your post!