Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Wednesday, April 1

2009 Resolutions Quarterly Report

Wow, April 1st. The year is 1/4 over already! Who'd of thought it, although it did seem like a long, long winter. I thought this would be a good time to review my 2009 goals, and my progress against them. The original is in plain type, and the progress in italicized. No photos in this one - sorry!

+ No new fabric purchases!!!!!!
[3/31/09 - Well I haven't done so well as I'd hoped, but I have cut down considerably. AND instead of purchasing and stashing, for the most part, I've been sewing what I've bought. Except for the quilt fabric. I did go a bit nuts at a clearance sale at Homestead Hearth, but I have recovered. Lets see if I can do better next quarter! No total of the amount purchased - more than 10 yards, less than 50!!! 8-)) specific enough for you?]

+ Learn to Quilt on my New Used Quilt Designer Machine!!!!!
[3/31/09 - Making progress on this goal. In the past few weeks I replaced the stitch cards with the machine - both the quilting and utility card - and am feeling excited about the possibilities. I am getting good at using it - it makes a lovely 1/4" seam - but haven't tackeled actually quilting. With spring break coming up next week, maybe I can try then.]

+ Make One Item from Each Burda Plus and/or Burda World of Fashion Magazine Acquired!!!!
[3/31/09 - Some progress here, although not to the actual making stage as yet. I traced out four patterns from different magazines, but have not cut them out as yet. So . . . Step one done, several more to go.]

+ Make at least one item for myself from the vintage patterns I've collected!!!!
[3/31/09 - I have not done this a yet. I have several ideas, but no action. Maybe a summer dress?]

+ Finish the Unfinished 2008 Projects!!!!
[3/31/09 - Doing well here. I actually trimmed up the 8 pointed star blocks and made a first pass at sewing two together. I started trimming the Paris Flea Market hourglass squares. I am making progress on the geisha round robin that is actually from - ummmm, 2007? (See post below about the little kimonos blocks.)
As for unfinished clothing, I have two pieces cut and ready to go, but never made them. The first is a dress out of the Kaufmann mermaid fabric from last summer - I didn't have enough for the sleeves, and by the time I found it, it was fall, so packaged that up and hung it in the sewing closet. The second is a stretch twill skirt in pale lime that I cut out, but I fear I may have made a mistake with. So these are in the wind, but will be finished.]

No comments: