Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Saturday, April 18

Too Busy to Sew

Well as I suspected, grant season started in all its craziness just the day after I posted last time. I've been working day and night to meet deadlines coming up in the next few weeks. But right now, I have a littl downtime as I've got everything out to my clients for review.

Even though I'm not sewing, I still manage to steal a glance at patterns now and then. These two are patterns I bought off of Ebay back in February, that got buried in my office.


McCalls 8038 is dated 1950. Something about that austere grey jacket and skirt just attracted me. I have some silver grey wool that might make it up quite well. Or what about a more luxurious bucle? I hope to make this one sometime in the next year or so.
No date on Simplicity 2495, but my guess is about the same age as the suit pattern. I can see the navy dress (without the bows - just what I need, bows to make my chest stick out further!) in a pink cotton sateen or light cotton for summer. I might have to extend those cap sleeves a bit as I don't like to show my fat arms, but it would be great and really retro!

No comments: