Aunt Emily

Emily Bowyer Hammel was my father's older sister. She was the dearest person I've ever known. Over several adolescent summers, she patiently taught me how to sew and how to cook. I loved her. Sadly, she has been gone these few years and I miss her very much. However, I am carrying on her legacy of sewing and trying to carry on her legacy of caring.

Monday, April 27

Its been a nutty, nutty week

Oh man I have been busy. Last Sunday I was up until 6:15 a.m. to get a grant finished. I've been running a marathon ever since - seven state grants due on Thursday and another federal grant due today. But right now, the federal grant is uploaded and received, and the drafts on the other projects are out for review, so I have a few minutes to breath easy!
So I thought I'd share these old patterns. I picked them up on a wild run through an antique store last weekend - literally 1 hour after I got my hair cut. Eight patterns for $8, where can you get a bargain like that?
First the apron pattern is really great, isn't it? I especially like the pink one with the ruffles. But any of them would be great. The envelope is in poor shape, but it looks as though all the pattern pieces are there and it is not used.
Then there are the two dress patterns. Be sure to click on each of the photos so it will enlarge and you can see more detail.
The Vogue on the left is from 1950. It is a raglan sleeve dress with inset pintuck trim - I just love it. How about sea green silk?
The Simplicity has no date, but must about the same date. I like the white dress on the right - sort of Lana Turner-ish, isn't it? My waistline would not support such a nipped in silhouette, but, who knows, maybe someday???
Anyway, have a great week and keep on sewin'! With any luck, I will have some time this upcoming weekend to do a bit.

2 comments:

Sherril said...

I really like the nipped in waist and those extended shoulder sleeves. I wish I was more willing to upsize patterns, but after all the alterations I do, having to upsize too would be just too exhausting. Thanks for sharing your new finds.

Anushka said...

ohhh i am so jealous. this dress patterns are divine.